Councilmember and Employee Compensation
There are a variety of government, media and private organizations that are collecting compensation information; each uses a different format and classifies the components in its own unique manner. This can result in different totals for individual employees when comparing reports and public confusion as to the accuracy of the information. The following information reflects current city compensation policies, adopted by the City Council in public meetings. Copies of actual ordinances, resolutions and contracts are provided. If you click on the attachment at the bottom of the report, you will get the actual compensation for individual employees in calendar year 2012, based on payroll and accounting records.
Councilmembers receive $300/month in accordance with Government Code Section 36514.5; this amount has not been modified since 1999 when it was established by ordinance. Councilmembers do not receive health insurance, pension benefits, office or automobile allowances. (click here for City ordinance)
City Employees - the City currently has only nine full time employees
Annual Salary Ranges:
City Manager $169,676
Assistant City Manager $98,020 - 137,228
Administrative Coordinator $46,592 - 65,229
Deputy City Clerk $46,618 - 65,234
Code Enforcement Officer $46,592 - 65,229
Building Official $61,256 - 85,748
Community Services Manager $61,256 - 85,748
Finance Manager $61,256 - 85,748
Public Safety Director $79,638 - 111,488
Staff compensation is established by resolution of the City Council, which must be approved in a public meetings (click here for most recent City resolution).
In addition to salary, employees receive:
* $1,000/month cafeteria plan for other benefits (i.e. medical and other insurance)
* 2% at 55 CalPERS retirement benefit (the second lowest formula available); employees pay the 7% employee premium for this program. The City share is approximately 10.5% of base salary. Leave buy-out and deferred compensation are not included in the calculation of pension benefits.
* The City is a member of the social security system; both employer and employee contribute to this program.
* Long term disability insurance
* 4 weeks total annual leave (sick and vacation combined) per year. Employees are able to accrue three years of annual leave; the decison to pay out excess leave is made by the City Council, not the employee. Neither accrued leave nor leave payout is included in calculating PERS retirment credits.
In addition to the above benefits, the City Manager receives:
* $450/month car allowance for use of her personal vehicle
* 1 week additional annual leave
The City Manager currently serves as the City Clerk and the Community Development Director - she does not receive additional compensation for these positions. (Click here for a copy of the city manager's contract.)
The City Manager, Assistant City Manager, Code Enforcement Officer, Building Official, Director of Public Safety and Building Inspector receive cell phone allowances for use of their personal cell phones for city business. No employees receive housing allowances or any housing assistance.
The City does not now - nor has it ever - had incentive, suggestion reward or bonus programs for its employees.
Click here for actual employee compensation, by position, for calendar year 2012.